Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ENT - First Visit

So we had our first appointment at Natalie’s ENT yesterday. It was just a consultation to talk about what can be done for her. We are using the same ENT as our friends that have a son with cochlear implants. Ironically while I was there, I was mentioning to Tim that I don’t want to see any pictures of snails because they reminded me too much of cochleas. Well, I didn’t realize the shirt Natalie was wearing into her appointment.... The ENT got a good chuckle and so did we.



Our first step is to see a pediatric audiologist which we are seeing on Thursday. Natalie will be fitted for pediatric hearing aids on both ears. We (the doctor and us) and not expecting any results from these as her hearing loss was so profound. In order to qualify for cochlear implantation, you have to rule out that hearing aids or amplification does not work and that implantation is a better option. You have to have pretty severe hearing loss to have the implants. She will have to wear them for at least 3 months and just prove they don’t work. I will get a lot of more information tomorrow at the appointment. We will also start on speech therapy (yes at this age... can you believe it?) and from what I have learned, that is free from the state and I believe they come to our home.

The next step, around 3-4 months, Natalie will have to have an MRI to assess if she has the cochlear nerve and to review the anatomy of her ears. She will have to be sedated for this.

Around 9 months is when we will really proceed forward for implants. This is when we would go back to our ENT and review everything and set up a time to have the 1st implant done around 11-12 months probably. He usually does the left ear first and from what I gather, it would be a few months later for the right ear. Our doctor said that insurance companies in the state of NC are required to cover the implants under our insurance policy so that is good news. I am not sure what % they cover... but that was still good news.

We felt much better and hopeful after our visit with the ENT yesterday. He has been doing implants for about 20 years and has done over 200. He said he averages of about 10-15 per year. And cochlear implants range from all ages, it just isn’t babies or young children that have had this procedure done. He was telling us about a 5 year old boy that he had done implants on that is hearing and speaking  just as well as someone that has normal hearing... so we are very encouraged. Of course, she does have to have the nerve for this, but he told us it is pretty rare not to have it. 

This video on youtube shows what a cochlear implant actually is. It is interesting to watch:


Thank you to everyone who has called, offered to watch my kids or bring dinner. It is amazing how blessed we feel right now. I am sorry I haven’t been able to call as many of you back, but I will continue to update our blog  as we receive more information. We will feel so much better of course once she has had her MRI to confirm and we hope that will bring us better news. We are so lucky to have little Natalie in our home!






COMMENTS:

She is darling.  I am glad you have a good doctor and it sounds like it is more likely she will have the nerve than not so that makes me hopeful.  I hope all goes well in these next months.  You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 08:21 AM
Kelli J
It sounds like the visit to the ENT was good...definitely encouraging. I've been waiting all weekend to hear how it went. I didn't know they did speech therapy this early either. I look forward to hearing how things progress. She is the cutest little girl and despite the challenges ahead is already such a blessing. I love you Mis! Please call anytime you need. I hesitated the past couple of days in calling you b/c I know you have so much going on as well as many others calling you too. I'm always here and if you find you want company or help...I'm just a few hours away. Love you and give your kids big hugs for me, especially little Natalie.
Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 12:43 PM
melanie
Great news!!  I'm so glad to hear it!  Thanks for keeping us updated.
Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 06:25 PM
I was so sorry to hear about the news of little Natalie, but your husband couldn't have chosen a better profession which gives him lots of ins.  It sounds like everything will work itself out and I will pray for her to have her little nerves!  What a cutie!  Good luck with all the future surguries and sedations.  Let everyone know before these happen so we can pray and fast for you all.  I will pray lots but can't fast...I can barely go a few hours without eating.  Funny how pregnancy does that aye!  Love you Missy and maybe I can come invade you this summer if you aren't too busy.  Love Debi
Friday, May 7, 2010 - 07:04 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio