Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hearing Age - 2 Months

Another week of hearing has come and gone. Tomorrow will mark 2 months of hearing for Natalie on her left ear, so her hearing age is now 2 months. I felt like in the beginning we were seeing a lot of big things happening, which were amazing really. Clapping and having her turn to see the sound, saying "shh" and having her stop and look, or saying "ah" and having her repeat it back. 

The past few weeks haven't had anything that is jaw dropping happen. Our AVT teacher said the first 6 months are more input... input, input, input, all these wonderful sounds. Making sounds interesting, helping Natalie realize what sounds are and then associating them to certain things. I do think we are making very great progress and often friends will stop me and ask how Natalie is doing. I always reply with "great" because I don't think she is having any setbacks and she seems to be progressing. She seems happy with sound, never gets scared of it, we have been gradually increasing her programs on her processors. I have one more program to change them to this week, and then she will have another audiology appointment next Tuesday and get more programs. 



I tried the processors on Natalie without the headband for a change. She has to use the small compact battery with these and unfortunately ours were duds and didn't charge the next day. I also used double sided tape to help these stick better. I think I still like the headband right now for the stage she is in, but this way I can actually put clips in her hair that seems to be coming in so well.

Our sound this week for AVT (auditory-verbal therapy) is: choo-choo. Anything we can incorporate into making an "oo" sound. The ones we have worked on in the past few weeks are:
"ah" - airplane
making raspberries - car (this is a pre-speech sound)
"round and round" - top
"hop hop hop" - rabbit
"wheee!" - slide

Our goal in the future will be to have her repeat back, grab the correct toy that is associated with the sound, even if she doesn't make the correct sound, if she can mimic the duration of something, then that will be progress. I am looking forward to her next audiogram.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

She always has the most darling little smile or look on her face! It will be great to watch her progress over the next months to year. She seems to be doing so well. Yay Natalie!

Becca said...

She is the cutest little bug ever! So happy to hear she's doing so well with all her new sounds! :)

terciahaley said...

Hi, I came across this blog a few weeks ago and its been lovely to read Natalies progress. I'm living in the Uk, my daughter is eight months old and currently being assessed for CI's as like your daughter is profoundly deaf. Its been a tough time for us but reading this blog has given me some hope that one day she may have access to some sounds. So thankyou for taking time to share your story. Tercia, UK

Post a Comment


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio