Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Ears"

When Natalie gets really tired or isn't feeling 100%, (or if she isn't getting quite the attention she wants) she occasionally takes off her "ears". She mainly leaves them alone, but I always notice when she has been teething, or has a cold or is extremely tired she doesn't want them on. If I feel like on one particular day she is consistently doing this, and after many attempts of them being on and off, I will put her in her crib with some books and give her 15 minutes to chill.

Usually she calms down and wants to listen again. I don't really want to punish her for not wearing them, but she needs to understand that she needs to wear them in order to hear and listen. And I generally think when she takes them off, she really is just trying to be naughty most of the time. And a good part of her success of how well she is doing is because she does wear them so much.

Here is one particular sequence of events. She got mad at something and ripped off her headband that has her processors in place. (And look at that beautiful head of hair she has.) So, this is just one of those daily things us parents of kids with hearing loss get to deal with. Sometimes on multiple times each day. And we get to teach any caretaker how to put them on and explain how they work.

Just one of the struggles we get to tackle...



4 comments:

Melinda said...

She is so grown up & so adorable! My daughter Savannah takes out her ha's out in the same situations tired,teething,had enough or got a cold. Frustrating but its very rarely now. She gets angry if i dont put them in straight away in the morning ..lol Hopefully not too far away down the track this will all be a distant memory & they will keep them in all the time...or i guess they will take them out to ignore us? LOL :)

Erika said...

Same here! When Sophia gets really tired by the end of the day she will rip off her headband and I don't bother putting it back on if she's about to go to bed. I do wish she would keep it on so she can hear us reading a book at bedtime and hear instructions as she gets ready for bed. But sometimes the quiet time is also important for her as well.

Denise said...

I had never thought of that being a problem. I am sure over time she will learn to want to have it on to hear but take it off when she needs a break. I am sure it is stressfull for you to have to deal with her taking it off though. I can relate in a small way with Calvin taking off his glasses often. You guys are so great with Natalie. She is lucky to have you!

Laura said...

Her hair is cute. What a challenge. My kids I am sure would be good at taking them off. They would love to not listen sometimes. She is such a cute girl. I love her and don't even know her.

Post a Comment


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio