Monday, April 11, 2011

Ear Gear

Natalie - 11 weeks hearing


I thought I would do a post about all of Natalie's ear gear. It is quite the set-up. When we first went for Natalie's activation day, we got this huge box of stuff which includes everything from ear hooks, magnets, batteries, remote controls, chargers, coils and many more accessories. And that box was just for 1 ear, so we have 2 boxes stored nicely in our closet now. 

We have quite a few extras of things to get started and over time we will have to order new things as things get damaged, wear out. We do have a 3 year warranty on the main stuff, and I had some dud batteries that were replaced. Cochlear was great about  replacing things and we have gotten it pretty quickly. And we always have our back-ups if we really needed them.



For a while we just had everything kind of spread out on my dresser plugged in, but it made more sense to buy a charging station to keep everything in one spot. We just plug it in at night to charge everything.  Natalie's magic ears consist of 3 parts; the actual processor, battery and then the coil that attaches to her head. The grey machine is a de-humidifier that I put the processors in each night (after cleaning them), then charge the batteries and put the coils in the drawer. We can manually change the programs and turn on/off the processor or she has the remote control that can do all of that and more.

We also have a cochlear backpack for traveling to store all of the gear. We have traveled once so far with everything, and it was fine. We have yet to fly, so I am interested how airport security will be. I am on a couple of CI forums on facebook and yahoo, and most people say it isn't a problem. Guess we will have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Shelley Patterson said...

Wow... it's hard enough traveling with the normal baby gear. I guess I'll count my blessings from now on.

Katie said...

Add wig tape to our list of essential ear gear. It really makes a difference in helping Rowan to keep his ears on. Actually, I feel like I put on his devices less than when we had the body worn processor, which surprised me. If you are thinking of trying to have Natalie wear hers without the headband, I would give it a try.

BTW, the airports aren't that bad. They seem very willing to accommodate us, anyway.

Unknown said...

We also had one dud rechargeable battery which we got Cochlear to replace. Maybe it's not that uncommon. We have flown with Taylor a few times. I just tell them that she has cochlear implants, like hearing aids, and they send her on through. With the advanced imaging security machines, I would try to avoid having her go through that machine. Also, with those machines, you have to let security know that she has a metal implant in her body. :)

Post a Comment


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio