Wednesday, July 6, 2011

5 months Hearing

Natalie continues to incorporate more sounds into her language. She is doing several new cute things besides being cute of course...



1. If I say "cheers", (normally at kitchen table) - she will grab her sippy cup and raise it up for me to hit with my glass.

2. If we say "stretch", she 75% of the time will reach both of her arms into the air. 

3. We have been working on some music and songs lately. She is trying to figure out the whole dance thing, but is more interested in watching what the rest of us do. There is a few songs, where she has been able to pick out the actions we have been learing (from the song rock-a-bye bear - The Wiggles). If she hears it or I sing it to her, she has been able to put at least one of the appropriate actions at the right time.

4. And, something new today I wanted to try out. Natalie loves books and we try to read a lot to her. I know there are a few that are ones she loves or has heard many times, so I put a few books out in her room today and just recited the words to a few of them, and she was able to correctly identify the book by what I was saying and pick it up and bring it to me without any help. (you will be thrilled Jenni!) A couple of the ones she grabbed were: Barnyard Dance and Brown Bear, Brown Bear (which seems to be one she really really loves.)



We went up for another audiology visit late June. Our AV therapist thought she maybe wasn't responding as well to the higher frequency LING sounds "sh" and "s" like we had noted previously, so based on her audiogram, her mapping changed a little and I think she is hearing better with those higher frequency sounds. We will follow up again in August and meet with our ENT for a 6 month post-op check as well. 

She can produce the following consonants (h,p,d,n,b,m,w) and vowels (uh, ah, a, ai, ee, oh). In fact today, she was saying "oh"quite a bit in long drawn out sounds. I am hearing that coming through more and more.

Our AV therapist is off in July and we are on vacation part of August, so I am hoping that we can continue to make good progress despite not having our weekly sessions. She gave me lots of things to work on too. Wish we had an ipad for therapy at times. Our AV therapist Jenni introduced it in one of our appointments and it would be so nice for helping her learn and comprehend things better. You could pretty much have any photo or visual in iphoto on the ipad and go through pictures and identify things easily. 

Here is the latest audiogram... she was up to the 20-25 decibel level on the 1000 frequency. I love seeing those numbers.




0 comments:

Post a Comment


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio